Tom is a trial lawyer and serves as the Chairperson of Morgan & Pottinger’s Litigation Practice Group.
Tom began his career as a prosecutor in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and then as a felony prosecutor in Louisville, Kentucky, where he served as Deputy Trials Division Chief under the Commonwealth Attorney. In 2011, he joined Morgan & Pottinger and uses his trial experience to help individuals who have been injured, wrongfully terminated from work or charged with criminal offenses. Tom has chaired more than twenty jury trials, more than ten bench trials, has argued in both state and federal appellate courts, and has extensive administrative court experience as well.
Tom has long been active in the brain injury community, beginning in 2002 when he was a policy analyst for the Brain Injury Association of America. Today he serves as the President of the Brain Injury Alliance of Kentucky. In addition, he previously worked for several years for two United States Senators.
Areas of Practice
Personal Injury of Any Kind
Traumatic Brain Injury
Employment and Labor Law
U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky
U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- J.D., Notre Dame Law School, South Bend, Indiana, 2006, Honors: Moot Court Board
- M.T.S., Harvard Divinity School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 2000
- B.A., Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island, 1995, Honors: Magna Cum Laude, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Phi Sigma Tau
Honors and Awards
- “Kentucky Rising Star” by Super Lawyers®, 2013-2016, Category: Plaintiff Litigation
- Louisville Magazine Top Lawyers, 2013 and 2016, Category: Criminal Defense
- Served in the Jesuit Volunteer Corps: East
- Brain Injury Alliance of Kentucky, Board President
- The Louisville Forum, Member
- Credit Abuse Resistance Education, Program Volunteer
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kentucky Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Louis D. Brandeis American Inn of Court
- Louisville Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Deputy Trials Division Chief - Assistant Commonwealth Attorney, Elder Abuse Liaison, Jefferson County, KY, 2007-2011
- Assistant District Attorney - Montgomery County, PA, 2006-2007
In the News
Just this past March, the Kentucky Supreme Court handed down a complex decision in Sneed v. Burress that has implications for trial conduct …
Grant Thornton, LLP v. Yung, No. 2014-CA-001957-MR 2016, Ky. App. LEXIS 164 (Ct. App. Sep. 16, 2016), which is pending before the Kentucky …
The Brain Injury Alliance of Kentucky (BIAK) board has selected Tom Coffey as its next president-elect. Coffey has served on the board since …
Tom and his wife, Nicole, met while both attending Notre Dame Law School. Together they have influenced their young son and daughter to become rabid Notre Dame football fans along with them.